Interactive key 1
Identifiying a grasshopper is sometimes difficult, especially in the field. With these keys it's easier to narrow down the search for the right species.
In general, the most important anatomical features for the identification are:
- the length of the wings compared to the body,
- the form, size and colouration of the pronotum,
- the keels on the pronotum,
- the wing venation and colouration,
- the form of the male cerci and the form and size of the female ovipositor.
When you take photo's of the animal, try to take them from different angles (e.g. from the side and from above) to make sure you have as much as possible traits documented.
In the interactive keys you can always choose between two (or sometimes three) options by clicking on the right button.
Unfortunately there are some species groups that can't be identified for sure from a photograph. In that case you can stil narrow down your search to the genus. The song of many grasshopper species is very specific and easy to recognise. So try to make a record of the song (e.g. by your cellphone), because that makes identification much easier.